Dr Anthony Hammond BSc, MD, FRCP
Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist
- Interventional Spinal Pain Management
- General Internal Medicine
- Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist
- Private practice at:
- Kent Institute of Medicine and Surgery, KIMS, Maidstone
- Spire Alexandra, Walderslade
- Nuada Medical Harley St and London Medical, Marylebone High St
- NHS practice
- The Horder Centre, Crowborough
- KIMS hospital, Maidstone
- Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust 1992 – 2011
Special Clinical Interests:
- Interventional management of acute and chronic back & neck pain including sciatica, and intervertebral disc problems (eg; slipped disc).
- Hyaluronan, Autologous Platelets (APRP) and other injectional therapies for joint problems.
- Pulse Radiofrequency treatment of joint and soft tissue pain
- Immunologic therapies in rheumatoid and inflammatory arthritis
- Previous Chairman of the Kent Musculoskeletal division of the NIHR Comprehensive Local Research Network (CLRN) – 2012
- Co-chair of the British Pain Society Interventional Research Development Group.
- Chief Investigator for Alloksys Biotech in developing Alkaline Phosphatase in RA and related condition.
- Active collaborator in clinical trials of biologic therapies in rheumatoid disease, including trials of TNF inhibitors, anti T-Cell therapies, anti B-Cell therapies, plus new DMARDs and injectable treatments for osteoarthritis treatment.
Year of First Medical Qualification:
- 1980. Edinburgh University Medical School
- 1992. Appointed Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist, MTW NHS Trust
- 1996. Elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London
Current Memberships of Professional Bodies:
- Royal College of Physicians of London
- British Society for Rheumatology
- British Pain Society: Interventional Spinal Interest Group Committee Member
- Spinal Intervention Society (SIS)
- Independent Doctors Federation
- London Pain Forum, Senior Member
Dr Tony Hammond was educated at Edinburgh Medical School then trained in General Medicine and Rheumatology in Bristol, Bath and London including The Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases (the Mineral Water Hospital), Bath, The Royal Postgraduate Medical School (RPMS), Hammersmith Hospital and St Bart’s Hospital, London. He wrote an MD thesis on the immunopathology of SLE under Professor Sir Mark Walport at the RPMS. He was appointed as a Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist at Maidstone Hospital in 1992 and retired from that post in 2011 to pursue the development of the Kent Institute of Medicine and Surgery (KIMS) of which he was Clinical Chairman till 2017.
Clinically, Dr Hammond has established a sub-specialty interest in the minimally invasive interventional management of spinal pain problems with particular advanced practice related to disc-related back pain, slipped disc and sciatica problems.